Saturday, May 7, 2011

Meat Sauce

Sauce is one of those basic recipes in an Italian family. I’m not Italian but I’m married to one. When I first got married, my mom-in-law came over to our apartment and walked me through making sauce. She taught me to taste my food as I cooked and adjust my seasonings accordingly. After it was done, she left before Tom got home. She wanted me to surprise him with my dinner and gave us time alone to enjoy my efforts. She was a great lady and I miss her.

I find that two types of meat make a yummy sauce but it’s not necessary. You can use a mixture of ground pork & beef instead of making meatballs & frying sausage. Don’t be afraid to adjust your seasonings as the sauce cooks. Remember it is easier to “add” rather than “subtract” seasonings.

To see the video on how to make meatballs and sausage click here.

Ingredients:

Tomato sauce (3 - 15 oz cans)
Crushed tomato (1 - 15 oz can)
Tomato past (1 small can)
Onion – 5 or 6 slices (minced)
Garlic clove – 2 or 3 (depends on size)
Salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, bay leaf, grated cheese
Meatballs & sausage (or ground beef & pork)

Video:


Helpful hints: If your sauce tastes acidy add a bit of sugar to cut down on the acid taste. The longer you cook your sauce the better the taste. Remember to stir it on occasion.

© Nadine Zawacki 2011

1 comment: